I have been thinking about open-standards for movie-rental business. I searched to find about such standards but I couldn’t locate. Do you know of any?
Basically, a set of specifications/protocols which can be implemented by different players in movie-rental chain. Players include studios, distributor, application-developers, portals, et. al.
- A studio/distributor implements this specification/protocol and exposes API for metadata/streaming(or playback)/file-access from their own server
- Third party developers use the API to to pull metadata and play the content
- Third party developers can charge the user and split the revenue with content owner
- Or, studios/distributors can enable payment-gatway APIs as part of their offering
- Content is always played directly from studio/distributor’s server
- Studio/distributor have total control over their assets and also charge based on subscription/per-access
- someone (end-user, third-party developer) might try to cache/save streams as file and distribute
- and other concerns?