I need X to do Y — Syndrome12 Sep 2011
Most of us have or have had this syndrome "I need X to do Y".
- I need to join X course to learn Y
- I need to X training to start doing Y project
- I need a Laptop to start programming Python; Desktop doesn't make me productive
- I need an iPhone to start learning iOS programming; Simulator doesn't make it feel real
- I need to join Gym to workout; Workout at home doesn't work :-)
Get over with it this syndrome:
- Start learning/doing as soon as you get curious about anything, we don't have to wait to do X to start doing Y by ourself.
- We can always do X, but who is stopping us from starting with Y?
- Wouldn't it be better to get our hands dirty and try to learn more about Y by ourselves?
Eventually we have to do it by ourselves, doesn't matter if we do X or not. It is more fun and engaging when we do Y by ourself; it is also a litmus test, if we really want to do Y.
Discipline and Passion matters. I wish, I had more of these in me.